ADD ME

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tips for living in a car




The key thing to living in your vehicle is not letting anyone know that is your place of resident. That is sometimes a thing easier said than done. I have comprised 10 short tips to help anyone who is new to this situation.


1. The most important thing is to make sure your vehicle is running. It is not good to stay in a car that is in a vacant lot or not serviceable. I have an old vehicle (1991 Toyota Previa), but I try to do occasional upkeeps on it. Since I try not to stay one spot for too long, maintenance is an important factor

2. Before you start living in the car there are some essential things you need to purchase to make this a successful venture. Remember you are not trying to form a permanent residence but you are trying to be comfortable. It is important to get a pillow, blankets, a sunshade, car cover (if you can afford one), medical kit, battery charger, make sure spare tire is inflated and in good condition, 

I found a cooler is a very important item to have. Luckily I have a large 10 -seater vehicle but for a smaller car you can keep the cooler in the trunk. When I am at work I freeze several water bottles and use them to keep the food cool. I forgot I could have bought a freeze pack and used that. They are very affordable at a Sports Authority or camping store.

My windows are slightly tinted, which is excellent for cars driving by my parked vehicle at night. It is an expensive venue but now they have these films you can peel and stick you. It is important to remember to see how dark you can have your vehicle. Some states do have certain requirements. 

This next suggestion is not one I like to think about but it is definitely something I needed. It is so important to get a Porta-Potty. The going rate is less than $100.00. They have them used on Craigslist too.  Well, sadly I didn't have one at the beginning of this journey and let's just say I missed it. If you can't afford one at Wal-Mart or your local retail store then get a wide mouth bottle (for ladies) or a long bottle neck bottle for me. Sometimes I visit hotels and act like I am inquiring about a room and use their facilities if I have to defecate. I know gross but hey, it has to come out better in their toilet then my vehicle.  

3.  This leads me to another important factor-where you park your vehicle. I try to avoid well-lit areas. The main problem is they showcase you entering and exiting your car. I once parked in a 24-hour shopping center. I parked next to employees in the center. Since many of them worked 8-hour shifts no one noticed my vehicle parked there all night. 

In urban or city areas park in locations without sidewalks or building facing your car. Sometimes camp sites let you stay overnight or couple of nights for a fee.  If you park in the woods make sure it is a secluded area where traffic is sparse. Some stores like Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart allow overnight stays if you contact the management.  The good thing is they have restrooms. Try to arrive at all destinations late at night and leave early morning. I try to leave my sleeping locations before sunrise.    

4. If you do have the extra money investment in a gym is a life saver. This not only gives you the means to cleanse yourself, but it also allows you to have designated restroom location. I find that it helps keep me sane too. The worst thing you can do if you are homeless and working is to look homeless. Grooming is an important part of normalcy.  If you do get a gym memberships please invest in some flip-flops or shower shoes. The gym I use also provides free shampoo and conditioner. It also has a snack area. 

Another option is your local church. A great place for temporary lodging, shower and meal. Some churches even have designated people in their congregation that will give you a chance to shower at their homes. Of course this might mean you risk being converted into that religion, but you can go along with it you find your own temporary lodging.

I have also learned to carry FDS personal fresh wipes with me. This is your typical "hoe" shower but it does work on days that either your regular bathing facility is closed (mostly holidays), or you have to change quickly for work. College campuses also are a good source of a free shower. Some P.E. courses are very cheap. You can take a class and no one checks your identification when you use their shower. I have done this on more than one occasion. It also allowed me to stay fit and I used their free Wi-Fi to watch movies. So entertainment, exercise and a learning environment all in one.

5.  Keep air freshener in the car. A laundry bag (if you have room a basket) is also a handy thing to have. I also bought some arm and hammer baking soda and left the box open under the seat. Not only is it great at absorbing odors it is good if you have an upset stomach too.

6. Keep lots of water on hand. Being hydrated is a healthy and good thing. Sadly I can't use water after a certain period of time in the night, but I make sure I hydrated during the day.

7. Move around cautiously in your vehicle. You don't want to be rocking and knocking about. This not only draws attention by passersby but your local law enforcement might notice as well. I have surely had my share of close calls so I know the importance of staying quiet and discreet.

8. Keep your important documents safe. If you have a bank looks into a safe deposit box. If you can't afford one, leave important paperwork with a trusted friend or in a bus station or train station locker. Try to minimize the amount of things in your car. Sadly people do take cars, no matter what the condition. If you have nowhere else to keep important papers then buy a lockbox (small one) and put it in the trunk or under a seat at the back of the vehicle. 

9. If you have to travel, see if a friend or family member is willing to let you leave your vehicle with them. I leave my car at the airport. The cost is $10 dollars -a-day but The security is really good at most international airports. I also make sure nothing is showing through my windows.

10. The last and most important thing is know that "This too shall pass." You are only in a temporary situation and you should only use your vehicle for sleeping.  Spend as less time in the car as possible. When I am not working I am either at the library, movies, gym or eatery. I remain positive by saving for an apartment and thankful I do have a shelter over my head. Good luck and always know that "hope" is not just a 4-letter word.

No comments:

Post a Comment